Alexander Nevsky Laura is one of the biggest architectural ensembles built in the XVIII century. The erection started in the early 1710 and lasted almost till the end of the XVIII century. A number of talented architects, constructors, decorators, artists and sculptors were in charge of the construction of the Laura, which was finished only in 1790. At present time, services are held in both temples of the Alexander Nevsky Monastery.
Built by Ivan Starov in 1776 – 1790, St. Trinity Cathedral is a brilliant example of the early Russian classicism. Alexander Nevsky’s relic is kept in this Cathedral.
The oldest church in the Laura, the Cathedral of the Annunciation (Blagoveshchensky Sobor) was built in 1724 by D. Trezzini and T. Shwertfeger. Outstanding Russian commander A.Suvorov and other remarkable people were buried in the burial-vault of this Cathedral.
Nikolskoye cemetery contains the graves of Russian scientist L.Gumilev, outstanding theatre producer G. Tovstonogov, politicians Sobtchak and G.Starovoitova and others.