The town of Lomonosov (the ancient name is Oranienbaum) lies 44 km away from St Petersburg. During the years of the Great Patriotic War (1941 – 1945) the open air ensemble was not besieged by the German troops, neither was it looted by the inimical invaders or destroyed. This is the only palace- and- park ensemble in the suburbs of St. Petersburg that hasn’t undergone restoration and represents the original country residence of the XVIII century.
The Great Palace (1710-1727, architect J. Mario Fontana and Gotfrid Iohann Schedel) was built in the classical baroque style. The Picture House built in the late 18th century and the Lower Park form part of the marvelous ensemble.
The Chinese Palace of Catherine II (1762-1768, by architect Rinaldi), the only Palace in Russia built entirely in the Rococo style. The interior of the rooms is decorated in the Chinese style. The Palace contains the marvelous collection of canvases of artists from Venetian Academy, Russian and European porcelain, furniture and one of the richest collections of Chinese and Japanese applied art.
The Palace of Peter III (1758-1760, by architect Rinaldi) and The Peterstadt Park were completed by 1830. The rooms of the Palace are decorated with lacquer paintings, modeling, composed parquet floors; rich collection of West European paintings of the XVII-XVIII c.c.
Daily 10:00 – 17:00. Closed: Tuesdays.