The convent, with its churches and graves, is one of the most peaceful places to escape to on a nice day in Moscow. The red and white crenulated walls and golden domes of Novodevichy Convent make it one of Moscow's most beautiful monasteries. Novodevichy was founded by Vasily III in 1524. The convent is rather like the Kremlin in miniature. Many wives and widows of Russian tsars entered the convent and handed over all their jewels, pearls, gold and silver. The cemetery, adjacent to the convent, is awash with the graves of many famous people such as Chekhov, Gogol, Bulgakov, Mayakovsky, Eisenstein, Shostakovich, Scriabin, Khrushchev, Molotov, Gromyko, and Stalin's wife, among others.
Smolensky Cathedral (1524-1525). The internal decoration has some preserved wall cuttings of the 16th century and a splendidly carved iconostasis with icons created by famous artists of that time.
The red brick and white crenulated walls are built in the baroque style : meals room (1685–1687), bell tower (1689–1690), 2 gate churches Preobrazhenkaya and Pokrovskaya, Chambers Lopukhina’s and Mariinskiye (1688).
Old and New cemeteries represent the largest museum of grave stones and sculptures in Russia.