The Moscow Kremlin is one of the biggest and most beautiful architectural ensembles in the world. The first walls of the Kremlin were constructed in the middle of the 12th century. Two centuries later Moscow became the capital of a small principality and since then the Kremlin has been the residence of the Russian governors. Today part of the premises of the Kremlin is occupied by the President’s offices and this territory is closed for public admission.
The Cathedral of the Assumption. Erected in 1475 – 1479 by Italian architect Aristotle Fioravanti, it was the main cathedral of the country where all the Russian tsars were coronated. The interior of the Cathedral is decorated with wall frescos, paintings and iconostasis of the 17th century. Here you can find real masterpieces of the ancient Russian iconography.
The Archangels Cathedral. It was built in 1505 – 1508 by Alevisio Novi as a new burial vault of the princes and tsars.
The Cathedral of the Annunciation. It was the family church of the great Moscow princes, and later – of the Russian tsars. The cathedral was built in 1484 – 1489 by the architects from the town of Pskov.
The Bell Tower of Ivan the Great was constructed and re-built during the 16th-17th centuries.
The Church of the Deposition of the Robe. It was built in 1484 – 1485 by the architects from Pskov and was the home church of the Russian metropolitans, and later - of patriarchies.
The State Armory. This is the world famous museum-treasury that houses not only Russian art work and crafts of the 4th-20th centuries, but also the European and Oriental ones. The building, specially erected for the Armory, was constructed by architect Constantine Tonn in 1844 – 1851. Now the exposition is disposed in 9 halls on 2 floors.
The Diamond Fund, which consists of two halls. Historical hall: personal things of the members of the emperor's family, royal regalia, and the world famous Crown of the Russian Empire, which was specially designed for the coronation of Catherine II, Russian and foreign pre-revolutionary orders and medals are exhibited here.
Modern hall offers the exposition of the biggest gold, silver and platinum nuggets found on the territory of Russia. Tremendously big diamonds and modern jewelry work are to be found here as well.
Daily 10:00 – 16:00. Closed: Thursdays.